Sunday, September 16, 2007

Interesting

"If these children had been kept in institutions or treated at home as 'vegetables,' there can be little doubt that they would have turned out exactly as predicted," Shewmon says.

Hmmm. I'm thinking about this. (Hat tip to my dad for the link.) I don't know what to say. I don't feel qualified to summarize, really. It takes me a few days of turning this stuff over in my head before I can discuss it, never mind intelligently.

I wonder if this phenomenon (is it a phenomenon? or just a realization of what's long been true?) explains Q's apparent Cortical Visual Impairment (CVI)? Which, now that I think about it, I meant to ask the neuro guy about at his last visit. Q goes back in November, so I'll bring it up then. If I remember correctly, the notes from Dr. Dobyns on the MRI (see link for more on Dr. Dobyns -->) mention Q missing some of his cerebral cortex. I'll have to go back over it.

Hmmm...

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Very interesting article. If having structure "A" permits a child to "B", but a child can "B" without having "A", then there indeed is something going on in there we don't know about.

Neurosurgery: The Final Frontier?

And they give these guys knives and drills. I don't like to think about it, especially if we have a surgery coming up.

Old Dominion Heather said...

Fascinating article. The intricacies of the brain and all... it is a miracle that we are capable of doing any type of surgeries on something so delicate.